Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) have proven to be key enabling technologies for developments in sectors ranging from transportation to telecommunications to healthcare, and many others.
The technology, which combines computers with small mechanical devices such as sensors, valves, gears, mirrors, and actuators embedded in semiconductor chips, seems to be evolving at warp speed.
To keep abreast of the latest advances in this dynamic industry, the MEMS & Sensors Industry Group (MSIG) convenes its Executive Congress 2016 this week in Arizona. The professional forum joins business leaders from a broad spectrum of industries: automotive, communications, consumer goods, energy/environmental, industrial and medical professional to exchange ideas and information about the use of MEMS and sensors in commercial applications.
MEMS & SENSORS TECHNOLOGY SHOWCASE
The MEMS & Sensors Technology Showcase, a popular conference highlight, will preview on Nov. 10 some of the most unique MEMS/sensors-enabled applications in the industry.
The shortlist of this year's finalists includes:
- A new modular accessory that dramatically accelerates time to market and reach for MEMS and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies. i-BLADES’mobile Smartcase lets new technologies reach mass-market mobile consumers through one integrated smartphone accessory—a mobile phone case. By providing a Smartplatform that forms a “hard-wired” smartphone connection, the product enables developers to add new sensors to Smartcase directly or through snap-on Smartblade modules.
- An ultrasonic tracking technology that uses pulses of ultrasound to measure an object’s range with millimeter accuracy. Chirp Microsystems’ new ultrasonic time-of-flight (ToF) technology enables low-latency, millimeter-accurate 6 degrees of freedom (DOF) inside-out controller tracking for VR/AR and gaming systems. The ToF sensor is a system in package (SiP) that combines a MEMS ultrasound transducer with a power-efficient digital signal processor (DSP) on a custom integrated circuit that offers ultra-wide field-of-view, noise and light immunity, fast sample rate, and a small package size.
- A new, highly sensitive gas sensor line of products for air quality and breath detection. Integrated Device Technology’s (IDT’s) suite of products, based on its flagship ZMOD3250, detects total volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and odors and can be used to selectively identify several VOCs, including formaldehyde, ethanol, and toluene. The ZMOD3250 features a unique silicon micro-hotplate with nanostructured sensing material that enables a highly sensitive measurement of gas. The accompanying ASIC provides a flexible solution for integration of the sensor with various consumer devices, including mobile phones, wearables, and appliances. Suitable for a wide range of applications, the sensor features programmable-measurement sequence and highly integrated CMOS design.
- A demonstration game that not only involves real-time biometric data to affect the gaming experience, but also collects meaningful health metrics in the background. Valencell’s biometric gaming has implications not only for the gaming industry but also for healthcare and medical markets. Increasingly healthcare practitioners are integrating biometric game play into physical therapy and surgery recovery protocols to measure and manage recovery processes.
- The first quiescent-sensing MEMS microphone that alleviates the heavy power consumption typical of speech recognition–which consumes up to 1000 µW or more. Vesper's VM1010 supports wake-on sound at practically zero power draw (a 3 µA of current while in listening mode), VM1010 reduces standby power by two orders of magnitude and can increase standby time by a factor of 100.
Each finalist is allotted five minutes to impress audience members, who will vote for their favorite demo. MSIG will announce the winner at the close of the conference.
ABOUT MEMS & SENSORS EXECUTIVE CONGRESS US 2016
MEMS & Sensors Executive Congress US 2016 will run from Nov. 9 to Nov. 11, 2016 at the JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa.